Tuesday 1 March 2016

Twenty One Pilot's Album Covers

'Twenty One Pilots' - Twenty One Pilots (2009)
Before designing my own album cover I want to look at already existing designs used by the band. I will see what colours, styles and images they use in their marketing pieces and should give me a better idea of what aesthetic to use in my own work. I will be looking at their 4 album cover designs to see if they have any differences or similarities between each other.

This is the debut album from the band Twenty One Pilots. The illustrated cover design shows coloured liquid pouring out from a large chest or box. It's an abstract design as it is difficult to tell what the image is exactly. I don't like the design of this cover because I feel as though if I didn't know the artists, I wouldn't know what sort of music to expect. Although, I do like about it is the different sections and how some parts are in black and white and some are in vivid colour.

'Regional At Best' - Twenty One Pilots (2011)
This album cover is very different from the last. It is made from a single photograph whereas the 2009 album 'Twenty One Pilots' was created as an abstract illustration. This design also features the name of the band on the white banner across the top of the image. It also says the album title on the cover whereas on the indie pop artist's debut album there was no title or text at all, just the drawing. In addition to this, this design features the artist's logo behind the text which adds to the marketing visuals of the group. I like the colour scheme used as they have matched the red and blue in the logo to the red and blue of the children' jerseys. Colour is something that features in many album designs and will be something I think about hugely.

'Vessel' - Twenty One Pilots (2013)
This is the cover design for the 2013 album 'Vessel' by Twenty One Pilots. It is a relatively plain design, simply made from a portrait photograph of two men stood together, arms behind their backs leaning towards each other slightly and facing the camera. There is also a darkened section with a reduced opacity that adds an extra colour element to the design of the album cover. The only writing on the design is the name of the album itself. This contrasts with the band's second album which has their name written across the top of the picture a lot. Similarly to the band's 2011 cover design, it's a photograph of two people dressed in similar clothes to one and other. It also features two people with not much of an age gap between them.

'Blurryface' - Twenty One Pilots (2015)
This is the cover design of the band's most recent album 'Blurryface'. With a back background and 9 pattern-filled circles in the centre the design is relatively minimalistic. The name of the band and the name of the album are both on this cover design which works well however the cover doesn't use any photograph which is a contrast from the previous two albums. I like the limited colour palette used in this design with red, white and black being the only colours used. I think it also works well having the album name and the band name separated by the central artwork. This layout may be something I try to implement in my own design later on in my project. 


2 comments:

  1. Sup Jake the image you used for the self titled album is actually a drawing I did of that cover when I was 13 on my cringy ass deviantart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh man I was searching for the artist who draw the cover, is it really you..!?

      Delete